Tuesday 3 May 2011

'Carry On Teacher'

Well here it is, the second instalment. This Blog to is to cover last weeks events which I have not yet mentioned.


So, with the return to College on the Tuesday for me (should've been Monday but due to gigging never made it back until Monday evening) saw the continue of rehearsals with both JP Parsons reggae project and The Lost Hounds (our Blues band!). Another productive day for both groups, the reggae band played through our entire set and spent a lot of time tidy things up, adding a few dance moves and generally having a laugh! To anyone interested in seeing exactly what we get up to I recommend you come see the show THIS FRIDAY at 1.30pm in the theatre, not to be missed. The Lost Hounds continued rehearsing an original song  entitled 'This Lonely Road', written by myself and some help on the lyrics from Amy Rayner, as we knew we had studio time coming up ( it was today but it will feature in the next blog). We also began work on, and completed, a new song which is very 'boogie woogie' blues, especially with the addition on Jamie Wilson on keys. Thanks Jamie, sounds awesome!


Wednesday was a great day for me as I had the pleasure of finally taking my first guitar student, Jenny Baillie, for her first lesson. It felt good to be back in the teaching seat! The lesson itself went very well, Jenny having already done some guitar made things a lot easier to bash on with and I'm looking forward to this weeks lesson. We spent our time just looking through some chords and then putting them into action with a couple of songs. Well done Jenny! I did however make a fatal error in not charging my camera completely and only caught the first half of the lesson on tape...Oooops! Lesson learned. Thanks Jenny!





Thursday was also a pretty productive day. In song-writing class we were split into groups of 3 and given a short musical extract split into 3 parts and had time to rehearse it then play it for the rest of the class (team-work). Short, simple, but good fun! D.A.W. was also good for me as my piece that I'm working on is almost complete, I just need to get an acoustic guitar part in there and some vocals so let's hope I can get that done this week as it will be one less thing to worry about. The afternoon saw myself, Jamie Wilson and Ivan Sveda in for our Funk band rehearsal. We had a quick run through our covers which are progressing nicely and also jammed (improvisation) through my original piece 'Too Funk to DRuck' and began works on Jamie's original piece too. A very nice bass line I must say was given to me by Jamie for it so I was very pleased!


Friday was a somewhat less productive day, although it did see me take another lesson (this time I made sure the camera was fully charged!), Sean Harkins who doesn't play guitar but knew a couple of chords already. Again this was a help to get him going. Similar to Jenny's lesson we went through some more chords, worked through a couple of songs and tried adding in a rhythm pattern with the right hand to enhance the sound. A very enthusiastic lesson and likewise we are both looking forward to the next one. Thanks Sean!


...and now the BIG Highlight of the Week!
This weeks big highlight for me got to be having been back in the teaching seat. It felt a little uneasy at first being on camera, which is something I'm not used to when teaching but it was definitely a great experience. Glad to have such enthusiastic people to teach, the last time I taught was in August so good to get back into the swing of things. Thanks again guys! Stick at it.


So there we have it, another fun filled fabulous week. Well that's all I have time for. I leave you with a quote from Kindergarten Cop...I mean would you like Arnie as your teacher?!?

[after the kids start complaining about "police school"] 
Detective John Kimble: Oh, come on... 
[shouts] 
Detective John Kimble: Stop whining! You kids are soft. You lack discipline. 
[shouts] 
Detective John Kimble: Well, I've got news for you. You are mine now. You belong to me. 






This is me on a good day teaching....


This is the bad....

No comments:

Post a Comment